Hang like an orangutan.
In honor of Earth Day we are going to discuss a few facts about orangutans, a cousin of our Max the monkey!
1. Orangutans are native to Indonesia.
2. Orangutans are born with an ability to reason and think.
3. This large, gentle red ape is one of humankind’s closest relatives, sharing 97% of the same DNA
4. Orangutans are unique in the ape world. There are four kinds of great apes: gorillas, chimpanzees, bonobos and orangutans. Only the orangutan comes from Asia; the others all come from Africa.
5. They make their home in these trees and build nests each night out of leaves and branches in the very tops of the trees.
6. Almost all of the food they eat grows in the treetops and the frequent rains fill the leaves thus supplying their drinking water.
7. An orangutan’s lifespan is about 35-40 years in the wild, and sometimes into the 50’s in captivity.
8. Orangutan females only give birth about once every 8 years – the longest time between births of any mammal on earth
9. Their diet is made up of bark, leaves, flowers, a variety of insects, and most importantly, over 300 kinds of fruit.
10. As of 2012, the Orangutan Conservancy believes there are approximately only 40,000 orangutans remaining in Borneo and Sumatra. Shockingly, the number was about 60,000 as recent as a decade ago
More information can be found at: http://www.orangutan.com/